Masters in Computer Application (MCA) is an excellent course to pursue for those who belong to a non-science background, but have studied math at the +2 level and have an inclination towards IT. Besides providing you better exposure to the job market, it also equips you with in-depth knowledge of computer applications. With colleges in the south dominating the list of the best MCA colleges, let’s have a look at the top 12 colleges that offer the course in the country.
1. National Institute of Technology, Trichy: Candidates securing a minimum of 60% in a full time bachelors degree, having mathematics/statistics as a subject. Admission to NIT Trichy for an MCA requires you to clear the NIMCET examination, held each year. The total fee is approximately 1,20,000 for three years.
2. School of Computer & System Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi: Requires a bachelors degree in any discipline and adequate competence in mathematics and at least 55% marks in graduation. Admission is based on written test conducted by JNU.
3. Christ University, Bengaluru: A candidate who has passed any Undergraduate degree examination with 50 % aggregate marks from any recognised University in India or abroad recognised by UGC / AIU are eligible to apply. Candidates who are from non-Computer Science, should have studied any of the following subjects at the Pre- University or Degree level – Mathematics, Computer Science, Business Mathematics or Electronics.
4. Madras Christian College, Chennai: It is a 3-year P.G degree course divided into 6 semesters. Graduate in any discipline with Mathematics at the 10+2 level can opt for this course. This course involves the study of system management and development system engineering application, software internet management information systems, software development, troubleshooting, hardware technology, networking etc. Admission is based on an entrance test conducted by the institute.
5. University of Delhi, New Delhi: The MCA programme is a 3-year full - time course consisting of 6 semesters. The last semester is devoted to a professional training project in the industry. The curriculum enables mastering the fundamentals of computing and gives an opportunity to gain an in-depth knowledge of a broad range of topics. The minimum marks required in graduation is 60% (aggregate).
6. National Institute of Technology, Warangal: The NIMCET is NIT MCA Common Entrance Test, a National Level Test conducted by NITs for admission in to MCA programme. The admission to the MCA programme in to NITs is based on the Rank obtained in NIMCET.
7. Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi: Candidates must have one of following qualifications: Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA), B.Sc. in Computer Science / Information Technology/Electronics or Bsc with Math/statistics as a subject with at least 60% marks.
8. National Institute of Management, Mumbai: Offers 2-year MCA+PGDCM, which enhances your value in the IT job market. The institute privately conducts its entrance test. The total fee is approximately is INR 40,700 annually
9.Jamia Milia Islamia University, New Delhi: A full time bachelors degree required, with maths as a subject, and at least 50% marks in graduation. The entrance examination is an MCQ based paper consisting of 50 questions. Number of seats is 50.
10.Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore: Admission is based on the performance in the VIT-MCA examination. Candidates securing 90% and above in GATE are eligible to appear directly for the interview without taking the exam.
11.Motilal Nehru Institute of Technology, Allahabad: The minimum requirement is a full time bachelors degree with mathematics/statistics as a subject and at least 55% marks in graduation. The institute conducts its very own entrance exam.
12.Harcourt Butler Technological Institute, Kanpur: An autonomous institute, it conducts an entrance test and/or an interview as selection procedure. A full-time three year bachelors degree with mathematics is mandatory.
Credits: Sanchari Pait.